YA GOTTA GIVE Marcus credit. After seeing my comments here about problems with the clip art on the solunar table, he made some fixes.
Your critique hit me oh, so hard <insert rye chuckle> that after 2 years and 4 months, or 157 outdoors pages (some weeks they used to get two pages) I gave up on advertising ever selling the solunar table, which was my excuse for not redoing it from the original one I was given to use when we started that page in Feb 09.
The July 31 outdoors page attached with our newly redesigned solunar table.
So we could focus on the changes in the solunar table, I cropped them out of the pages and placed them together. The older version is at top.
1. Thank you! The newer version is f-a-r superior to what you’ve been running for the last 157 pages.
2. Only nit I’d pick: I would change the type in the new table to all sans serif. The sans serif numbers are more difficult to read in smaller sizes.
MARCUS OFFERS US two pages for review. Ed has some thoughts to share below each. Then…it’s your turn!
FROM ED: In a word…unthrilling. Other points:
1. Might’ve worked better to place the headline and subhead flush right.
2. Good lead photo, played well. I also liked the bottom right shot. Others were, well…OK.
3. Really wish you had not run the teachers story here.Is this a photo page…or not? Having that story at the bottom says “not.” Jeez. Couldn’t that story have waited another day?
1. Love the bullet holes. I think you did a good job placing them on the page.
2. Like the photos.
3. Like the machine guns package.
4. Hate the hook and the “talking fish” cutesy clippy art in the solunar table. Please fix that. Like…NOW! (Wow. That’s the first time Ed ever used red and bold on one word in this blog! He must really not like clip art!)
Other comments? Waiting to hear from the assembled multitude. You, too, can chastise The Daily Times for that solunar table dreck.