SCOTT HAS SUBMITTED several pages for comment over time—and here’s another for us to review together.
FROM SCOTT: Hello Ed, hope all is well. Here’s a page I just finished today…nothing too earth-shattering, but I thought it was kind of interesting. I tried to keep it really clean, but I did have a little fun getting some of the vines to intertwine with some of the letters in the headline…tried to use restraint though.
So, here’s my submission.
1. The headline type looks like it’s outlined, though this may just be a “hard shadow.” Regardless, outlined type is a very ’60s look, which is another way to say it’s very dated.
2. I do like the extra effort you took weaving the vine with the headline.
3. Placing the text within the faded box is a good idea but I’d have allowed more space between the box and the type. I recommend at least one pica of space between the type and the edge of the box.
4. I’d have placed the subhead inside the box with the text. It’s a bit tough to read where it is.
5. It’s difficult to find and read the caption.
Overall, a good attempt—but it’s unexciting.