SCOTT HAS SUBMITTED several pages for comment over time—and here’s another for us to review together.
FROM SCOTT: Hello Ed, hope all is well. Here’s a page I just finished today…nothing too earth-shattering, but I thought it was kind of interesting. I tried to keep it really clean, but I did have a little fun getting some of the vines to intertwine with some of the letters in the headline…tried to use restraint though.
So, here’s my submission.
1. The headline type looks like it’s outlined, though this may just be a “hard shadow.” Regardless, outlined type is a very ’60s look, which is another way to say it’s very dated.
2. I do like the extra effort you took weaving the vine with the headline.
3. Placing the text within the faded box is a good idea but I’d have allowed more space between the box and the type. I recommend at least one pica of space between the type and the edge of the box.
4. I’d have placed the subhead inside the box with the text. It’s a bit tough to read where it is.
5. It’s difficult to find and read the caption.
Overall, a good attempt—but it’s unexciting.
ALL OF THIS WEEK’S SUBMISSIONS are from regular contributors. Ed’s thinkin’ we need some irregulars to breathe new life into the blog. So…tell yer friends. Even tell yer enemies. But tell folks…’cause this is the bottom of the basket. Not the quality, mind ya. The quantity. There are no pages left. And you know the mantra: No pages, no blog.
Hello Ed, here’s a features page I just finished. It took me longer than usual to do this page as I ended up doing it and redoing it three times…sort of got in my own head on this one. Overall, I’m happy with the end product though I must admit I heard you in my ear the whole time about the reverse type :) I made it larger and in a sans serif so maybe that much made up for it LOL Thanks, Scott
I like the page! Just a couple of points to mention:
1. The caption is too tight to the right edge of the page. Better if it were moved left a pica or two. Why is the caption in a serif typeface?
2. The drop cap does not align with the adjacent type. Doing a bit of a baseline shift up would have helped.
• • • • • • • •
Hello Ed…here’s a page I just finished for next week’s paper. I tried to implement more of your tips and everyone’s suggestions. My first sketch for this page was WAY overdesigned. It was a mess. So, I scrapped that and decided to just go big with the photo and keep the overall design simple. Hope it worked.
I like this page, too, with only one nit: I don’t like the schedule information (which I would have run in sans serif) being broken up in two legs the way it is. I’d have found a better way to a) separate it from the story and b) package it in one piece. I would have considered running it in the first of the three legs, with the story starting at the top of the second leg and ending above the man’s chew (about where the listing type runs to now).
One other point: the “Highlighting Culture” head doesn’t do much to draw me in. I think your headlines in general need to be more dynamic. I don’t have a good suggestion off the top of my head (pardon the pun), but others are welcome to jump in with some ideas.
Other than that, I think it’s a good page. Well done!