DESIGNER/EDITOR AMANDA sends along a recent food page from The Daily Times in Maryville, TN.
FROM AMANDA: “Have a page. I’m kind of pleased with how this one turned out so I thought I’d pass it along to you. Hope you’re doing well! Amanda”
1. I like the use of the photos.
2. Looks like there’s some horizontal scaling going on in the “Little goes…” headline.
3. Thank you for keeping the recipe in a module! Your readers thank you, too.
4. I like the idea of the “NUTS” headline done with the nuts. But…I don’t like the vertical headline—mostly because we read from left-to-right and not up-to-down. Though the look is catchy, I just don’t like vertical heads.
5. Perhaps you could have used something with greater visual interest, like the closeup of the walnut below. I love the bumps and curls and curves and highlights in this photo. Use it big, as the lead photo, with the other photos smaller? Whaddaya think?
AMANDA MUST BE just a bit reluctant about offering these pages. Her friend and co-worker Marcus Fitzsimmons sent them along with the following brief note. Ed’s comments follow each page.
FROM MARCUS: These are our last two weekend section centers Amanda has done. I’ve talked her into submitting for the blog.
1. I usually don’t like reverses, but here I think it works OK…almost as an art element.
2. Nice work on the cutouts…and careful placement of same.
3. Overall, an appealing spread. Nothing overstated. Direct, clean and attractive.
1. The top of the gradient screen is a bit dark. Tough to read through.
2. Really don’t like the pink ribbons—they’re computer-generated and a close look shows that. Though I like the way you used these, they’re still not real.
3. I think the design would have been better had you not placed any type below the dancers. Just leaving that bit of negative space, I feel, would have given the page a more open feel. That said, I like the placement of the key elements: the photo, the headline and the sidebar.
4. Really like the look and feel of the headline approach.
5. Despite the nits noted above, I like the page. Good work.