SCOTT IS BACK looking for reax on a couple of recent pages.
FROM SCOTT: Hello Ed, here’s a couple of pages I’ve designed over the past few weeks that I thought were at least somewhat keen. I struggled a little with the Best Bets page and had totally overdesigned it at first. Then, I took a step back and tried to make it as clean as possible.
1. Do the numbers imply a ranking? If so, which is better, the 1 or the 8?
2. When I do pages like this, I like to include 10 items. A list of eight seems incomplete (by two!).
3. One of the photos needs to be the dominant art. I’d have used the shoe HUGE!
4. I like the way you handled the photo credits. Nicely done.
5. The headline, with the drop white then drop shadow, feels overdone. And why the two different typefaces there?
6. Scale of 1-10? It’s a 7+
1. Good use of the photo, but…isn’t that phone at least 6-8 years old? The screen is teeny-tiny and the photo seems dated as a result.
2. Glad to see the “By the Numbers” box, but the underline on the head is too heavy (I’d have gone without the underline). And the centered type is more difficult to read than flush left.
4. Headline and subhead both begin with “Teen(s).”
5. Scale of 1-10: It’s an 8. Overall, it’s clean and easy to follow.
Your thoughts? Share your suggestions with Scott!