KAREN SENT THIS PAGE a week or so ago to show me that attention to design is beginning to take hold at the P-I. There’s still a way to go, but this page is a leap forward for folks there. When I asked Karen if I could post the page on this blog she replied: “Sure, why not — I’m a glutton for punishment.”
Instead of punishment, I actually had encouragement in mind. As I mentioned, there’s still a way to go…perhaps a long way. But every great journey begins with one small step.
Some thoughts on this page:
1. The headline treatment needs more contrast. Put “PILLS” in a bolder (maybe even black) type. Then move the ampersand down to the second line, with “DOLLAR BILLS.” And use a lighter face there.
2. Instead of mixing serif and sans serif faces in the headlines, I’d have gone with all sans serif, varying the size and the weights for the contrast I need.
3. The drop shadow on the headline is a good idea, but I’d have made it much softer. The hard shadow gives the page a very ’80s look.
4. I’d have made the pullout deeper and narrower. The text type on both sides of the pullout is too narrow for good readability.
5. I like the size of the photo (a breakthrough for the P-I!) and the gradient feather was a good idea.
Now…you’re on the journey!