RENÉE ROCKS. She and I have stayed in touch over the years, since we first worked together on a redesign of the Petoskey News-Revew some years ago. Our mutual respect has grown over that time. That said, there are some concerns here.
Whenever the guy who normally does page one is on vacation, I’m up. Here’s what I’ve done so far this week.
1. A blue screen behind the photo? Huh???!!! What’s with that? And why the red headline?
2. Overlines on headlines add some negative space, but they make readers go “back-upwards” from the headline. I’d rather see drop heads that say something than overlines that are only labels.
3. Memorial photo is static.
4. Headlines feel wooden, dull.
5. Do gas prices really matter that much in Petoskey? That bottom left package seems a bit much. And it’s mislabeled: Around the world? Nah. I’d take a flamethrower to this entire package and start over again.
6. Does the teaser type always have to be in red? Why?
7. Every story jumps.
1. Couldn’t we find a better piece of art for the NASA teaser? Like a real rockey? This looks like clip art.
2. Nice work on the debt deal package, though I would crop tighter on the photos.
3. The red square on the blog drop head has to go. It’s a throwback to the 80s.
4. Good lead photo.
5. Widow at top of 4th leg in Orlow story.
6. Every story jumps.
1. Any reason for all-caps in the Hemingway headline?
2. The Hemingway photo is a good size, but seems to me we want that airport photo a lot larger. The page is too type-heavy.
3. I’ve noticed greater use of regular width Myriad in your headlines, rather than the Myriad Condensed. For me, the condensed carries a greater sense of newsiness and urgency, while the regular feels sluggish. I’d make greater use of the condensed.
4. There’s that dated red square again.
5. Two widows.
6. Every story jumps.
1. Any reason why the lead photo is so tilted? Makes me a bit nauseous.
2. More dull headlines. Newsy. To the point. But dull.
3. Odd: first line is short in the third leg of the candidates story. Hmmm….
4. Every story jumps.
Again, the entire bottom package needs an overhaul. What a waste of valuable space!