HEATHER SUBMITS A FRONT with a note that’s short and sweet. Ed’s take follows the page.
Your opinion please on our newest layout. Thanks!
1. This was the second straight week I’ve seen a lead headline with one of the words in red. So, I thought I might have missed something. I did a tour of Newseum pages and other sides and I don’t think I’m missing anything. It’s just that someone used red in this headline, just like last week. Then I thought: ” I don’t get it.” Know what: I still don’t get it. Sheeesh! What do we do for the Second Coming? This is just way, way, way overdone.
2. And…I also don’t get the green in the pullout in the lead story. Also, the pullout is too wide, making the adjacent text just harder to read.
3. I have problem with the “burglars” headline. These two are just charged…no proof yet that they are burglars.
4. Lead photo is too small. Should be at least four columns on the front page.
5. Nameplate/teaser area at the top just takes up too much space. And even with all that size., the nameplate doesn’t have the impact it should. The pine cone appears impaled on the cap “E.” This entire area needs redesigning.
6. Would like to se some additional options for headline fonts. These all are black. Try some in light, medium condensed and other fonts of the same typeface.
7. Widow at the top of the third leg in the lead story. Ed. Does. Not. Like. Widows.
Perhaps I’m being a bit too harsh. On second thought…nahhh.