DANNY OFFERS A LOOK at a couple of front pages from recent issues. So, now it’s your turn to offer your thoughts (after reading Ed’s comments first, of course!).
Attached is the front page to our June 1 and July 13 editions of The News Leader.
1. Overall, I really like this page. Imagine that: devoting your entire front page to sports when b-o-t-h of your teams win state titles! Boosterism? No…just being proud of your community. Not newsy? What else do you think your community will be talking about all week? So, my hat’s off to you for doing this.
2. Like the fact that you gave both teams equal play. The design works nicely.
3. One negative I see: the type next to the pullouts is really badly spaced. It looks ragged and sloppy. I’d have placed the Lady Panthers pullout in the left leg of the story, with the other pullout in the right leg of that story.
4. Like the “Destiny & Dynasty” headline a lot.
Nice going. This is a keeper…and a contest entry.
1. Good lead photo, but too bad we have just the back of the girl in the center. Where’s the pic of the panda?
2. Is “Man hurt…” really a lead story?
3. Really don’t like the side caption at the bottom. It creates two areas of trapped white space.
4. What’s your limit on the number of lines a story (Trail Ride) can be short?
5. I understand the reasoning behind the tax holiday reverse (wanting to draw attention to it), but I think this could have been done much better. How about putting it in a box above the “Man hurt…” package—perhaps with a gray screen behind it? Or maybe in the place of the “Free BBQ…” short. Other suggestions, anyone?