FREQUENT CONTRIBUTOR Michael Smith jumps in with more pages. We’ll show a couple today, others in the coming weeks.
FROM MICHAEL: Hi Ed. Sorry for the blog absence, but here’s several new pages since my last submissions. As a heads up, the bar graphs on A1 for May 12 are missing year numbers, something I’m kicking myself for leaving out. I made sure to include them in graphs on A2 for May 26. All the other pages are for general critiquing. I’m looking forward to hearing everyone’s feedback. Thanks!
FROM ED: A few points…most of them minor:
1. You don’t state clearly enough in the schools package why the school board wants to make the move. I think that’s important enough to get it said in a subhead.
2. I want to know what the kids are doing in the photos…and their names, please. Having them as part of a graphics package doesn’t obviate the need for captions and names.
3. I wanted to see numbers with the test scores bar charts. What is considered “good?” What is “below average?”
4. The Teacher of the Year foto is v-e-r-y yellow. I’d have adjusted hue in Photoshop. Also, I’d have placed the photo in the bottom right corner of the page.
5. I wanted the VSO subhead to tell me why they’re being banned.
6. Can you take the postal permit info out of the box? It would make it less distracting.
1. I’d have taken the graphics that are now below the jump and placed them above it, just to separate them from the ad.
2. The four-column block of type might have been helped with a pullout. Even with the graphics, the jump looks like a bit much to read all in one gulp.
How about the rest of you? What thoughts can you share with Michael?