WELCOME TO KRISTEN! She and her colleagues at the Herald & Tribune are working on a redesign but here are a couple of recent pages she’s offering for our review and comment.
I thought I’d submit a page or two for your review. One is a lifestyles front and one is the cover of our little league section. (Kind of an outside-of-the-box cover, I guess).
Looking forward to the critique!
Herald & Tribune
1. I hope the color section flag goes away with the redesign.
2. Perhaps you have some rules there about having at least two or three stories on this page, but I’d like to see fewer stories with better use of art.
3. That said, I like the play of the lead art in the bottles package. But if we could have ditched the classroom story and downsized the Special Olympics package, we could have given the bottles package much better play. I really wanted to see more of the bottles!
4. I like the use of the “read-in” headline on the bottles package.
5. Top art on the bottles package is a nice touch.
6. Some kerning adjustment needed in the “Bottled Up” headline. It reads like “B ottled U p” at present.
7. I still read the bottom headline like: “Special lympics…oh…wait the medal is the ‘O’ here…hmm…” I understand how it’s supposed to work but I’m not sure it does.
8. The outlined type in the Special Olympics headline is a dated approach. Try using a shadow instead.
9. Instead of using a box around the outdoor classroom package, just separate it from the rest of the page with a vertical rule…and more space.
1. Love the photo idea…and the poses are great!
2. Don’t like the “Herald & Tribune” line repeated across the bottom. Seems to me you could have used that space to tell readers a bit about what’s inside the section.
Despite #2, this is a front I’d be proud to have in one of my client papers.
So, how about the rest of you? What are your thoughts? Ideas for improvement?