AMANDA MUST BE just a bit reluctant about offering these pages. Her friend and co-worker Marcus Fitzsimmons sent them along with the following brief note. Ed’s comments follow each page.
FROM MARCUS: These are our last two weekend section centers Amanda has done. I’ve talked her into submitting for the blog.
1. I usually don’t like reverses, but here I think it works OK…almost as an art element.
2. Nice work on the cutouts…and careful placement of same.
3. Overall, an appealing spread. Nothing overstated. Direct, clean and attractive.
1. The top of the gradient screen is a bit dark. Tough to read through.
2. Really don’t like the pink ribbons—they’re computer-generated and a close look shows that. Though I like the way you used these, they’re still not real.
3. I think the design would have been better had you not placed any type below the dancers. Just leaving that bit of negative space, I feel, would have given the page a more open feel. That said, I like the placement of the key elements: the photo, the headline and the sidebar.
4. Really like the look and feel of the headline approach.
5. Despite the nits noted above, I like the page. Good work.