HAVE YOU ANY IDEA what this is? No? None?
Then…you’re not keeping up.
Better find out fast…because it’s coming your way, like it or not.
KAREN WAS GIVEN A SHOT at designing a recent special section. Ed thinks she did a pretty good job of it. Take a look at the following pages, then see Ed’s note at the bottom.
I was given free rein on the project but I was pressed for time. Wished I had a week to do a proper layout; not three days.
I know you’re busy – I’m not in a hurry, but I would like to hear your thoughts.
Karen seemed a bit timid about submitting the section for Ed Henninger’s Blog—until Ed told her he thought she had done a pretty good job with it, and her work might inspire others.
1. The cover is clean and simple, with good typography. The best part: no clutter.
2. The vertical “section headers” inside are a good idea…and they reflect the simplicity of the cover.
3. Love the bugs!
How would you improve on this? Give us your thoughts!
SOMETIMES OPPORTUNITY DOESN’T JUST KNOCK—it falls on our desks with a thump! This page from Marcus is an example.
I thought I might toughen the skin and see if you’d put this one up. It was a page classified threw to us from a miscount on copy about 8 pm for the 11:30 deadline, so it was on the fly to put it together. Besides the center art not quite getting the size I wanted, was looking for some scathing to do it better next time.
1. Well, you’re right about the lead art not being large enough. The page is heavy on type.
2. But…I like that you let the elbow come out of the right side of the photo.
3. You might have used a mug shot or logo or two in the Tournament Guide along the left side—or maybe a photo at the top or bottom of the package…or all of the above
4. I like the use of the QR code in the top right corner to bring readers to the web.
5. Good use of the bracket teaser art.
In general, I want to see more and larger visuals…and less type.
Thoughts from the rest of you?