SCOTT OFFERS US A PREVIEW of a double-truck page he’s planning to run this Thursday. So, if you wanna jump in on this one, please do so soon!
Here’s a double-truck page I designed today and wanted to get some feedback on before it runs next week. Thanks, Scott.
Overall, I like the spread a lot. Some reasons why:
1. Good use of negative space.
2. The pull quote.
3. The photos across the bottom of the page.
But you know me. I always have some nits to pick…and some suggestions for improvement:
1. When you do a cutout of someone wearing glasses, be sure to also cut out the background that is in the glasses. See the adjacent closeup.
2. Is the drop initial indented? If so, that’s a no-no.
3. When I run drop initials—especially in a format this large—
I try move the byline elsewhere so the drop initial is at the very beginning of the leg of type.
4. I’m not comfortable with the reversed captions in the bottom photo package.
5. I’d consider running the pull quote flush right and about a pica or two to the left of the text.
6. Did you think about running the drop head in italics? It might be worth a look.
So…enough from Ed. What are your thoughts? If you have some to offer, please get ’em in quickly so Scott can consider some changes.