MARAH SENDS ALONG an out-of-the-box front for the Kanabec County Times. Her note explains why. Ed offers his comments below the page.
Here is our front page for this past week. Every year we have the big Vasaloppet cross country ski race in town where people from all over the world come and participate. It is really a big deal so it took up the whole front page. We found it a challenge to not make it look like last years page. Thanks for the critique.
1. I’ve said it before and I’m saying it again and I will continue to say it until it’s fixed: the nameplate is awful.
2. Lead foto is good, though I wish he had been looking more toward the camera. With his mugshot just to the right, though, I’m not really too bothered by it.
3. Good job packaging the lead foto, the Vasaloppet label and the start-of-race foto. This package is very nicely done.
4. A subhead below the photo package and just above the story might have helped draw more readers.
5. The black outline on the Liebsch headline is too heavy. A shadow would have served better.
6. I like the foto with text wrap at the bottom but I think the entire story would have been better set a bit wider in four columns—and perhaps flush left.
7. A couple of places with poor word spacing in the text wraps to the right of the bottom foto. Another reason to consider going fllush left.
With all those nits picked, I still think this is a winner! Nice work!