MARAH IS ANOTHER steady contributor to this blog. This time, she offers us a couple of facing pages…well, her brief note sets the stage:
I’ve decided to send you our 2-page spread of Year in Review. Please give us any thoughts/comments. Thanks!
1. The header is very busy. The film strip and the stars really don’t add any information.
2. Did you consider adjusting the photo on the right page to be as deep as the header on the left? Did you consider running a header across both pages?
3. Waaayyyy toooooo wwoooorrrrdddddyyyy! A package this text-heavy is not inviting.
4. Fotos in corners and outside edges tend to draw readers out of the package. And the interior of the spread becomes gray as a result.
5. Glad to see the “most read stories” boxes.
6. It appears that this package was created after the text was all written, just fitting in the pics and lists to fill. Next year, design the package first—with much larger art—then write the text to fit. A Year in Review package is NOT all about the writing.
How about the rest of you. Thoughts? Comments?