SCOTT IS A DESIGN “NEWBIE” who’s showing signs of talent. His latest submission follows. Then Ed has some thoughts.
FROM SCOTT: Here’s one of my latest pages for review…hopefully I’m getting better. I’m really trying.
FROM ED: Well, it’s obvious that you’re working at this, Scott. This page some some real thought and planning. I think anyone who’s new at design would be happy to have this page in his/her portfolio. A few points:
1. The page seems a tad too dark. I’d have lightened the photo just a bit more.
2. I like the fact that you ran the “know your terms” information in a lighter box. Makes it easier to read.
3. Bullets and indents in the lead story are redundant. Use either…but not both.
4. Indents here are way too much. You don’t need more than a pica or two.
5. Using a drop cap on a two-letter word makes that second letter (here, the “t”) look really lonely. If I had written the story (as you did here), I’d have changed the lead sentence.
6. I’m assuming the cap “A” on “Approaches” in the lead headline was just an oversight.
All those points considered, it’s still a good page. Nice work!
How about the rest of you…got some guidance/reaction for Scott?