JEANETTE HAS BEEN WATCHING this blog for some time, and has offered some pages in the past. Now, she comes to us with a redesign…exciting!
Her note follows, then the pages, with comments from Ed.
We recently went through a redesign, so I thought I’d send in an old and new version to see what you think? If you’d like to see a couple more, let me know. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!
1. You say you “went through” a redesign. This is unclear. Did you do the redesign yourselves or were you helped by an outsider?
2. The nameplate is more open and contemporary, the teasers are much easier to navigate.
3. Looks like you’ve returned to justified text in some stories. Do you have a style guide that spells out why and when that is to occur?
4. The new Bureau Grotesque typeface is, perhaps, a bit dated nowadays. But it’s certainly an improvement from your previous sans serif display face.
5. I wish you had allowed more negative space between packages. It still feels very tight.
Overall, it’s an improvement but I’m concerned that it doesn’t go far enough.
Reax from the rest of you would help Jeanette. What do you say?