LAURI SUBMITS THIS ENTRY, which finally shows up here after a couple of weeks. Some explanation from Lauri follows, then the page and comments from Ed.
After the last submission (and needed feedback) the editor and I sat down together for most of the day and truly thought about what we wanted our front page to be. We’ve taken some of the advice given on your blog, and incorporated a few of our own ideas to create our “V2” of the front page. It’s a work in progress and there might be more changes.
Since removal of the rail of ads at the beginning of this month, we’ve had one very stubborn client who insisted he stay on the front since he stuck with us for the past 2 years. We’ve accommodated him with a weather sponsor button. It is much smaller, and less busy, than previous ads. I’ve also kept the color to a minimum. Of course, we can’t get out from under the ear—but we are working around it.
The logo is our original from 2 years ago—prior to the ‘ad invasion,’ so we’ve brought it back. I’ve reduced the teasers and their giant page numbers, leaving just the one sports teaser a bit larger. The cutout is something we’ve not had a lot of and will try to incorporate more if this as time goes on.
We’ve added an obituary listing to the front, and reduced the index, contact and ‘all about us info’ to a cleaner, neater package. I’ve taken a chance and removed the price from the masthead and dropped it down to the UPC symbol area…that might have to go back to the top if we have vendor concerns.
Planning ahead for some versatility, I’ve made additional templates for our editorial team to use so they have some flexibility with the design process. The new info, index, and obit info can be placed at the bottom of the page where it was previously located instead of on the right rail, freeing up the width of the page for different story layouts.
All in all, I’m liking the way it’s headed. Let’s see what tomorrow brings!
I think you’re not gonna like this very much, but the devil is in the details and I see a slew of details here that trouble me…
1. Plus-tracking in the second leg of the top story is t o o e x t r e m e.
2. Minus tracking in the caption (SOUTHMONT HIGH SCHOOL…) is also too extreme. Here and in the text, someone is mucking up the readability. This is sloppy and unprofessional.
3. A box around the vandalism story? Jeez…boxes have been dead for at least a half dozen years now.
4. Why the reversed bar on Online?
5. Why the colored box on the phone numbers?
6. Type next to the Budd head shot is poorly spaced. Sloppy.
7. How do you determine which headlines get Garamond and which get Myriad?
8. No ad rail any longer, but this page has a right rail of stories. Trading one evil for another?
9. The type in the sports teaser is too small…won’t “sell” from a coin box.
10. Body text is not aligned to a baseline grid…nor are captions.
12. Why is caption on Budd head shot set flush right? Is this style? If so, what is rationale?
13. Why is there a box around the UPC code?
Not a good start, but you’ve had a couple of weeks so I hope it’s better now.
Sorry if this hurts. How about the rest of you? Am I being too tough? What are your thoughts?