LAST WEEK WE SAW a couple of front pages sent by Jennifer. This week: two sports fronts and an inside sports page. A quick note from Jennifer follows, then the pages and some comments from Ed.
FROM JENNIFER: (The inside page) was a special page we created when a new business opened in the area. We thought it would be neat to feature a sport other than football. Of course, football received its due on the front page of the section!
1. The ganged caption is a negative. It forces readers to go back and forth, each time having to find the next photo and then the next caption and then the next photo and then the…you get the idea. It’s an approach that may work well for us—but not for readers.
2. The big bubble in the middle means the photos (seems the me they need to dominate) have to be kept small. I think is is inverted thinking.
3. The story doglegs. Uggghhhhh.
4. The page feels overdesigned, like someone was just trying too hard.
1. Really like the idea of running the heat chart. Makes the story more credible and more real for readers.
2. Very good lead photo.
3. “Young…” head is too close too caption, a bit too far from top of story. Spacing needs adjustment here.
1. Overall a sound page. Clear and easy to follow.
2. Really bad orphan at the end of the caption on the lead photo.
So…Ed leaves only a few comments. But he’s also leaving the door wide open for others. What are your thoughts? Comments? Let fly!