KRISTIN’S GONE AND done it again! Offering us a look at a new page. This time…a special section front for college football.
No note from Kristin this time, so we’ll just get right to the page.
1. I love the “locker room blackboard” background for the design of this page. Really works for me because it just fits the topic so well.
2. Good use of the cutout photos and the namelines.
Overall, I think it’s a winner…but I think I’m being too easy on Kristin. How about the rest of you? What are your thoughts?
MARAH HAS SUBMITTED other pages from the KCT in the past few months. And here’s another entry for review and comment.
So I haven’t sent a page in awhile. Here is recent front page from the Kanabec County Times. I do want to inform you that we had massive coverage on the murder trial story so we did not feel it necessary that the “guilty” story be the biggest package. Our nameplate redesign has stalled too. Thanks Ed!
1. Your publisher should really talk to a newspaper design expert about getting that nameplate fixed. If he/she is interested, I think I know someone who could help. This nameplate is just, well…awful. Just awful.
2. Way too much typography going on in the top left corner, with the GUILTY all-caps hammer, the “of murder…” secondary line, the three-line deck head…and then the “Results from…” and the overline butting right up against it. The different sizes and the rule mean that readers probably won’t link these heads with each other. But, sheeeesh!, that’s a LOT of TYPE!
3. Lots of gray elsewhere, especially along the left side of the page. The photos in the “Summertime fun” package help…to a degree. But that package is just too small to deliver any real impact.
4. The red in the Summertime head adds nothing to the package. Instead, it becomes distracting. A waste of color.
Whaddaya think, folks? Am I being too negative? Let’s hear your thoughts on this page.
I GOTTA GIVE CREDIT to all of you who are editor/publishers, like Joe. I don’t know how you make the miracle of every issue happen but I bet your readers and advertisers are delighted.
Here’s a recent front page from Joe Baker. The Karnes County Times is located in Kenedy (one “n”) TX, about an hour from downtown San Antonio.
Joe’s brief note follows, with my comments below his page.
Ed, I’ve noticed from time to time that you critique folks’ pages. I have one that I’d like you to critique, if you have time.
1. Seems to me the “This Evening!” rail is not the norm, which is OK because here it looks like you were scrambling to fill it.
2. I like the typography in the flag, though there are a couple of places where I’d nudge and tuck: “T h” in “The” and “T i” in “Times.”
3. Let’s get rid of the sun. It looks garish and it’s too cartoonish. Have you got a landmark or courthouse or something of the sort that you can put in here?
4. I like the IT BEGINS head…but the photo needs some heavy-duty cropping. The cars in the background are distracting. Cropping more tightly from the sides would also have given the photo a much more dramatic shape.
5. Separating the groundbreaking photo from the headline could lead some readers to think they don’t go together. I’d have placed the photo at the top of the 2d and 3d legs of the story, wrapping the type below it.
Those are my key points. How about the rest of you? Please share your comments, criticisms and witticisms.