A QUICK NOTE from Kristen…and a page that needs some help. Ed’s comments follow.
Just wanting advice for this page as a learning tool. Thanks for what you do!
Director of Operations
Ouch! So many problems here that it’s difficult to decide where to start. But, we’ll give it a shot.
1. The top story doglegs. Modular approach is a basic of newspaper design.
2. Photos in top story are separated but would have been better if placed together.
3. It appears as though the background has been erased from the photo at top right.
4. No spacing between the top headline and the photos.
5. Text is not aligned to a baseline grid.
6. Text font appears to be Times or a knockoff of Times. There are much better text fonts.
7. Captions are in italic…can be tough to read.
8. Frames on photos are too heavy. Need not be any more than 1/2 point.
9. Byline typefaces are a strange mix of sans serif and serif.
10. Spacing differs in places. See tight spacing between commissioners photo and type to left of it.
11. Line spacing in infobox with open range story is too tight.
12. Infobox is notched into second line of headline in open range story.
13. Headline is above photo in Commissioners story. Should be below photo.
Frankly, the page isn’t designed. It’s just assembled…and not very well. Someone just took pieces and made them fit. Some serious design training is needed.
OK, guys: is Ed being too tough…or not tough enough? Let’s hear from you!