I GOTTA GIVE CREDIT to all of you who are editor/publishers, like Joe. I don’t know how you make the miracle of every issue happen but I bet your readers and advertisers are delighted.
Here’s a recent front page from Joe Baker. The Karnes County Times is located in Kenedy (one “n”) TX, about an hour from downtown San Antonio.
Joe’s brief note follows, with my comments below his page.
Ed, I’ve noticed from time to time that you critique folks’ pages. I have one that I’d like you to critique, if you have time.
1. Seems to me the “This Evening!” rail is not the norm, which is OK because here it looks like you were scrambling to fill it.
2. I like the typography in the flag, though there are a couple of places where I’d nudge and tuck: “T h” in “The” and “T i” in “Times.”
3. Let’s get rid of the sun. It looks garish and it’s too cartoonish. Have you got a landmark or courthouse or something of the sort that you can put in here?
4. I like the IT BEGINS head…but the photo needs some heavy-duty cropping. The cars in the background are distracting. Cropping more tightly from the sides would also have given the photo a much more dramatic shape.
5. Separating the groundbreaking photo from the headline could lead some readers to think they don’t go together. I’d have placed the photo at the top of the 2d and 3d legs of the story, wrapping the type below it.
Those are my key points. How about the rest of you? Please share your comments, criticisms and witticisms.