EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, a page comes along that proves to us we’re still learning—always learning. This page from Kristin proves the point. Her note follows, with Ed’s comments below the page.
I did this page for this past Sunday [Aug. 1]. The story is about “Orangeburg’s Got Talent . . . Kids” talent showcase that is upcoming. I had to make 20 mug shots look somewhat decent in about an hour-and-a-half. I really kind of winged it on this one, just trying not to make it look like 20 mugshots on a page if you know what I mean? I liked the keyboard effect that I made and I think it made it look better but I would love to hear some feedback.
1. The undulating keyboard doesn’t do it for me, though I’m guessing you had not much else to work with—if anything. This just feels too “clip arty” for my taste.
2. The head sizes vary too widely in the mugs. I’d have taken the time to make them similar in size.
3. There’s no order to placement of the mugs, unless I’m missing something. Is this the order in which they will perform? And…how come some of them get “special” placement in the bottom right corner?
4. Placement of the Online box in the center of the story is distracting and seems like an afterthought.
5. The background screen seems gratuitous.
In all, Kristin, this is not a page I’d put in my portfolio. Sorry.
How about the rest of you? Am I being too harsh? What are your thoughts?