ROBBIE IS A NEWCOMER to Ed Henninger’s Blog. There’s no note with his pages (see the next post, too!), so we’ll just go ahead and offer some comments.
1. Nameplate type is wimpy. There are much stronger Old English fonts. I’d suggest you search for them.
2. Let’s also look for something better than the Times and Helvetica you’re using for headlines. These are tired.
3. The cartoony umbrella in the left rail makes you appear unprofessional. Look for weather photos to run in the rail.
4. Index, Contact info and other material in the left rail take up a lot of space. Can some of this be moved inside, perhaps to a page 2 package?
5. Side caption on the Unknown Soldier photo seems to take up a lot of space. Could we get no photo showing the faces of the kids during this? We’re only seeing the backs of heads.
1. Teaser art leaves a bit to be desired. Top one is just a mug shot, second looks like clip art and the clouds art is another weak weather logo.
2. Nice work on the setup for the lead photo. It could have had a very “posed” look but your photographer got her subjects to relax.
3. Too bad we couldn’t have gotten a better photo at the bottom right. It might have worked better to get a photo of a Tucker…then use a mug shot of Stephens as an inset. Worth considering.
4. Four lines of lead head with two lines of subhead seems like just a bit much!
5. Your headline typefaces give you a dated look.