RANDY IS PUBLISHER/EDITOR of The Community News in Aledo, TX, just west of Fort Worth. This is his first submission to Ed Henninger’s Blog.
FROM RANDY: I would very much appreciate your comments and criticisms of our layout. I am attaching our most recent front page.
1. Nice work on the overline and the nameplate, including ancillary type…though the four-deep rules on both sides of the communities list may be a bit much.
2. Good lead photo package.
3. A bit more space between packages might help.
4. One story coming down the left side leaves quite a bit of gray there. A photo (mug shot?) or pull quote would’ve helped.
5. “On the side” is over-designed, with the tint block and the blue frame and the tilted photos and the red headlines and the drop shadows. This needs toning-down.
6. Does the UPC code really have to be t-h-a-t deep? I’ve seen (and done) them much shallower. Seems to me you could save some space here.