LONG-TIME READER Will Davis, Publisher of the Monroe County Rerpoter, sends along a page for comment. Will’s note follows, with comments from Ed below the page.
Been reading your stuff for years…finally got the guts to let you rip my front page. Oh well, maybe you’ll have some good ideas. :)
FROM ED: A few points worth mention…
1. The photo is not an iPod Touch…it’s an iPod Nano. I checked it on the Apple site.
2. I’m not a fan of overlaying caption lines on photos but here it works OK.
3. Let’s move the photo of the courthouse cupola down so it’s anchored to the rule below the nameplate. While we’re at it, take it left so it’s flush to the left margin of the page. It can be a bit larger, too. To help it sit on the rule, you can move the type below the rule…just leave enough space (2 picas will do) between the folio type and the news area of the page.
4. Why not cap the “the” in the nameplate? Having it lower case seems a bit 1960s cute.
5. I like the “How we stack up” table—but whenever I see a table I wonder if it could have been a chart. Did you try that?
That’s it from me…how about the rest of you? Thoughts? Roses? Thorns?